My Moto G had just arrived a few days ago, and I want to root this awesome phone. Yeah, I think this would be easy because so far, I have never encountered any problem when rooting my phones. But unfortunately, Moto G does not allow me to use all the simple ways that I’ve posted.
The first challenge is unlocking the bootloader, as long as I have not managed to open it, then I will not be able to root the Android. Motorola provides a good guide to unlock the bootloader, just go to http://www.motorola.com/unlockbootloader and follow the steps.
Make sure you have ADB and Fastboot on your computer, there is an easy way to install it.
Read this forum post if you encounter any problems during the process.
After successfully unlocking the bootloader, I can start to root the Android. I’ve found an easy way to root my Moto G.
How to root the Motorola Moto G with CWM Advanced Edition
Do not forget to enable USB debugging in the Developer options.
Ready? Let’s get started!
1. Download the CWM img file for Moto G -> CWM Advanced Edition PhilZ Touch
2. Turn off your phone, then press Power+Volume Down to enter fastboot mode
3. Flash the .img with this command
fastboot flash recovery cwm.img
4. Boot into fastboot mode again, and use the Volume Down button to navigate, and the Volume Up button to select the menu. Go to Recovery mode.
5. Reboot System Now, and then it prompts for flashing recovery, choose NO. And when it prompts for fixing the root, choose YES.
6. Ok, your Moto G has been rooted now. You can now install SuperSU or Superuser. Enjoy it!
via Falcon G on XDA